Nowadays we are listening a lot about energy conservation and environment protection as it will impact our future generation. Lots of studies are being conducted and several actions are being taken to make our surroundings environment friendly. Simultaneously considering the limited available resources, electricity saving has become very much important in today’s scenario. Government and Institutions are giving stress on this subject. At home we can also contribute in making our world energy efficient and environment friendly by adopting or changing some simple and easy living habits.
1) Switch off the lights and fans of the room which you are not using.
2) Use energy star rated electrical appliances.
3) Use LED or CFL bulbs instead of traditional Bulbs or Tube lights. This will reduce you energy consumption for lighting purpose upto 75%.
5) Set the temperature of your refrigerator between 30 and 42°F. Use the power-saver switch if you have one. Don’t open the doors of the refrigerator too frequently.
6) While dusting your home dust the fridge also. Check the coils behind the refrigerator and use coil vacuums or dusters to clean it off and keep costs down.
7) Use microwaves and convection ovens for cooking or warm leftovers as they use less energy than cooking with a conventional oven.
8) While cooking keep the oven door closed as because each time you open the oven door the temperature drops by about 25 degrees.
9) Use copper bottomed utensils as they use heat more efficiently when cooking on the stove.
10) Turn off your oven or burners when food is almost ready and let existing heat finish the cooking for you.
11) If possible try to wash full loads of clothes. If smaller loads are necessary, use less water.
12) Avoid over-drying your clothes. It not only wastes energy, but also causes static and wrinkling.
13) Set your dishwashers on economy mode, to use less water and electricity.
14) Prefer to install a solar water heater to save energy and money by using solar energy.
15) Don’t let the doors and windows open when the AC is on. Also turn off kitchen and bath exhaust fans. It will curtail your electricity bills.
16) Don’t use screen saver during periods of inactivity of your computer. Instead that set your computer to sleep or hibernate mode as it uses less electricity.
17) If you are thinking to buy a computer, prefer buying a laptop instead as laptop uses less energy than desktop computers.
18) When the batteries are fully charged or the chargers are not in use unplug them. Many chargers draw power continuously, even when the device is not plugged into the charger.
19) Use shades, blinds and drapes so that sunrays could not fall directly on the walls. Also plant trees and shrubs around the house. This will help you to keep your home cool.
20) Apply reflective coating on the roof. This will decrease the amount of heat coming into your home.