Bricks are an important construction material which are required in bulk quantities for construction of walls in both sub structure & super structure. It becomes important to check the quality of bricks especially where brick wall foundation is being adopted for the structure. Therefore good quality of bricks shall be used during construction. Here we have listed out some of the features which a good quality brick should posses.
1) Bricks should be table moulded and wire cut.
2) In case of clay bricks, it should be uniformly burnt in kilns.
3) It should have edges and parallel faces.
4) Broken piece when examined shall not exhibit any lumps, voids etc.
5) If struck with hard substance it shall give ringing sound.
6) If soaked in water for 24 hrs. It should not absorb water 20% more than its dry weight.
7) When thrown from 1 meter height on ground shall not break or crack.
8) The standard size of brick shall be 19 x 9 x 9 cm. Or 9 x 4½ x 2 ¾ inches.
9) The tolerance in size shall be as follows – If 20 bricks stack is prepared the measurement shall be Length 368 to 392 cm. & Width & Height 174 to 186 cm.
10) Each brick shall have a frog of rectangular shape of size 4 x 10 x 1 or 2 cm. Deep or an oval shape of size 6 x 4 x 1 or 2 cm deep.
The above tips for bricks will certainly help you in selecting the right material.