Floor area of a house is the total area of floor in between walls and consists of floor of all rooms, verandahs, passages, corridors, staircase room, entrance hall, kitchen, stores, bath and WCs (latrines). Sills of doors and openings are not included in the floor area. In short, floor area is equal to Plinth area minus area occupied by walls.
The following shall not be included in Floor area:
- Door and other openings in the wall.
- Intermediate pillars and supports.
- Plaster along walls not exceeding 300 sq.cm. in area.
- Fireplace projecting beyond the face of wall in Living room.
- Chullah platform projecting from the face of walls in kitchen.