A contractor can make or break the dream of getting new home. Therefore, selecting a right contractor is an important step in the journey that leads to your dream home.
Here are 10 questions below which will help you choose the right contractor to construct your dream home and give you confidence in your choice.
- How many years have you been in business? How many homes have you constructed? Are you licensed?
- How do you compare yourself to other contractors? What are the most important benefits or features of the homes you build?
- Can you give me references to see a home you built recently or in past, for another customer?
- What are your rates? Will you provide me the detailed cost estimate? What would be the specifications of the materials you will supply? Which brand of materials will be used?
- What would be the payment schedule? Will there be any penalties for late payment? If you can’t complete and handover the building within the targeted time, how much penalty will you pay to me?
- Will you execute a written contract? Whether the rates for construction, total cost, work schedule, payment schedule, target date of completion, penalties (if any), specifications of materials, brand of materials etc. will be mentioned in the contract?
- What type of warranty do you offer? On which items and under what conditions will you offer the warranty?
- Who will supervise the construction of my home? Who should I contact with any questions I may have?
- What will be target date of completion of the house?
- How the whole process of construction will monitored and at what level?
Hope the questions will give you a great starting point to select the right contractor for your new home. However, there may be other important questions you wish to ask, so feel free to add them.