Nowadays Termites are causing serious damages to homes around the world, eating wood and wooden products and articles inside the house. Especially in the rainy season it is found that every alternate house gets badly affected by Termites. Though, there is no perfect solution to this problem, but as we know prevention is better than cure, it is always advisable to apply Anti termite treatment during construction at foundation level of the house.
However, if you are late in doing so, here are some simple steps to keep your home free of termites.
- Inspect periodically to ensure that termite colonies do not get established. Apply chemicals as soon as you detect areas where termites are being reunited.
- Keep drains and gutters clean to avoid leakage. Make sure that there are no blocked lines, no filtration and no broken pipes with excess of moisture around them.
- Do not leave unattended areas where there is a high concentration of humidity. Clean those areas periodically.
- Reduce openings that can cause termite access to the structure. If there is any crack in concrete foundation wall as around where utilities pass through the wall, fill them immediately with cement or grout
- Remove wooden products that have had the presence of moisture or have been in contact with water for prolonged time. Instead that use products made from seasoned woods only.
- Do not bury pieces of wood directly in the ground for any use.
- Ensure that trees and shrubs are not planted too close to the structure and do not allow them to grow against exposed wood surfaces.
- If you notice some voids of open space between the building and the ground, act quickly and fill those areas to avoid termites getting in.